|Home Page||The Tour||Downloads||FAQ||Merchandise||Photo Archive||Search|
LocomotiveGeneral – Frequently Asked Questions!|
CIVIL WAR ERA Steam Locomotive
The "General” Specifications
The General is an American 4-4-0 Steam Locomotive. The Original Engine was built by Rogers, Ketchum & Grosvenor of Paterson, N.J., for the Western & Atlantic Railroad at a cost of $8,850 in 1855. The construction number is 631.
"Locomotives were assigned numbers in 1866 according to the date placed in service on the road, and the number was painted on the locomotive as was the name assigned to the locomotive. The General had the honor of being the 39th locomotive to be placed in the service on the W&ARR, and that number was assigned to the engine. It also continued to carry the name, and until sometime after the restoration of 1892, the name General was painted in gold on the panel under the cab window. In 1880, the numbers were changed. Many of the early locomotives had been retired, sold or scrapped, and the change in numbering was apparently done to eliminate the gaps in numbers. Again, the numbers were assigned according to date placed in service of the oldest locomotive remaining on the roster. At this time, the General was the third oldest locomotive remaining in service, and she was assigned the Number 3, which it still carries." -AndrewsRaid.com
The General weighs approximately 50,300 pounds empty (without water or sand). The General was originally built as a tank locomotive (Tank locomotives carry an onboard tank with water used to produce steam.) The modern General was rebuilt by L&N in 1961 to run on fuel oil. The engine is now dependent on its tender for fuel, water, power and braking compressor.
The boiler was a type known as "Wagon Top" (because it resembled the curved top of the famous Conestoga Wagons) and was covered with felt and Russia iron. The General carried a working steam pressure of 140 pounds. The boiler contains 130 flues each eleven feet long and two inches in diameter. The leading truck, with four wheels, was built with a rigid center. The tender has two trucks of four wheels each, 30 inches in diameter and with inside bearings. The old smoke stack of the engine was of the balloon type known as a Radley and Hunter stack, designed for burning wood as fuel. This type of stack has been simulated on the latest version of the engine. The engine had no live steam injectors but instead took water from the tender(or the old tank) by a pair of ram type pumps which were activated by the crossheads. Therefore, the boiler could not be supplied with water unless the engine was moving.
The Annual Report of the W.&A. RR for 1856 reflects that the General was placed in service on the Rails in January 1856 for use in freight service. With its five foot driving wheels, and a gauge of five feet and cylinders 15 inches in diameter and a stroke of 22 inches. The General was equally capable of handling passenger trains.
The General has a storied history and has been through many rebuilds and redesignations.FAQs:
Where is the General?
The General is displayed at the Southern Museum of Locomotive History in Kennesaw, Georgia.
Can I see the real General?
Sure you can! The Southern Museum of Locomotive History is located at: 2829 Cherokee Street, Kennesaw, Georgia 30144
Museum Hours: Monday thru Saturday, 9:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and Sunday, 12:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. Closed New Year’s Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
Is the General still operational?
Unfortunately, no; the General was retired from the rails in 1966, after its last run, from Padukah, Kentucky.
How much of the General is original?
Very little… The General has been through at least three major overhauls in the last 149 years.
The locomotive weighs 50,300 pounds.
Did the General always appear as it does today?
After the General arrived on the W&ARR, she was moved to the State Road Shops in Atlanta where the distinctive strap iron pilot was installed. All W&ARR locomotives were equipped with pilots of this type. The entire cab (Pilot) has been rebuilt with new wood and iron during the 1962 L&N refit; and new paint has been applied as needed “to keep up appearances.”
What does 4-4-0 mean?
The Whyte Coding System was developed by Frederick M. Whyte in the US around 1900 e.g. This system denotes the wheel configuration of locomotives. The first number indicates the forward guide wheels or bogies. The second number denotes the drive wheels of the locomotive; and the fourth number denotes the trailing trucks or bogies.
What horsepower was the General?
220 to 240 h.p. “But, don’t quote me.” Horsepower varied widely dependant upon steam pressure, Tractive Effort is the measure of a locomotive’s pulling power.
How many people did it require to drive a steam locomotive like the General?
A minimum of two (Engineer & Fireman) and usually four.
For a complete history of the General, Texas and the Great Locomotive chase check out www.AndrewsRaid.com
|The Museum is the Home of the General and much much more!!|
|Community Service||Events Calendar||Historical Focus|
|Portraits in Gray: A Civil War Photography Exhibition
Guest Curator David Vaughan lends his collection of rare original photographs of Confederate soldiers to help visitors get a glimpse of the men and boys involved in this tragic chapter of American history. July 14 – Dec. 31, 2007. This exhibit is a part of the prestigious Smithsonian Institution Affiliation Program Exhibits.
|E. Warren Clark|
(on Cow Catcher) photographer and lecturer, located the "General" in 1892 on a siding at Vinings,GA. He had the idea of restoring "General" and exhibiting it at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago. This led to "General" being on display for over 100 years!
|Local Merchants!||Museum Update!||Contact Us!|